The elementary vocal music curriculum at St. Pius X School is designed to provide a variety of experiences that will enable all children to respond to, create, and perform music.
In music, a life-long appreciation of music is encouraged in a variety of ways:
- Music classes help develop fine motor skills by playing instruments.
- Music expands cognitive development through the recognition and interpretation of musical notation.
- Music is also tied to human cultural traditions and behaviors in rhythmic patterns.
- Music reflects the composers’ individual traditions and experiences.
- The students have opportunities to participate in musical concerts and church services throughout the year.
Music is a performing art and a discipline in which all children at St. Pius X School participate in and enjoy. Students will present at least one concert each year singing chorally and playing recorders (in the fourth grade).